At Badgley Mischka’s show yesterday at Lincoln Center, lead stylist for Moroccanoil Peter Gray was inspired by Alfred Hitchcock blondes—particularly Tippi Hedren in The Birds—to create the braided updos that perfectly complemented the designers’ glamorous gowns. To get the look, Gray prepped the hair with Moroccanoil Volumizing Mousse and new Protective Spray, then braided the [...]
When designers Mark Badgley and James Mischka shared the inspiration for their spring 2013 Badgley Mischka collection—a 1930s version of A Midsummer Night’s Dream—with lead hairstylist for Moroccanoil Peter Gray, Gray put his imagination to work
The character Sophie Theallet created in her fall 2012 show at Milk Studios once lived a life of opulence as a wealthy aristocrat, but now finds herself disconnected from that fortune and refinement. “She still lives a decadent lifestyle, she’s s
At Badgley Mischka’s spring collection, shown at the tents at Lincoln Center, a number of intriguing references inspired lead hairstylist for Moroccanoil Peter Gray to create the dramatic updos for the show, including Italian sculptor Umberto Boccion
The Badgley Mischka fall 2011 collection was inspired by the films of the 1940s and ’50s, such as All About Eve, Dark Victory and The Women, and the parties that went along with them. “It’s less about the red carpet and more about the Vanity Fair aft
At the Derek Lam show, Orlando Pita for T3 created a super-straight “schoolgirl hairstyle” that looked like a classic half-ponytail minus the elastic or barrette holding it in place. Pita blow-dried the hair with the T3 Evolution dryer, then flat-iro
For Peter Som’s fall 2011 collection, Eugene Souleiman for Wella Professionals created a undone updo inspired by a quirky 1960s housewife. “The starting point was a Tippi Hedren from Hitchcock’s The Birds,” Souleiman said. “But it’s like the bird
When coming up with the hair design for the Badgley Mischka show, lead stylist for Moroccanoil Peter Gray took inspiration from the movie White Mischief, which chronicles the sex- and drug-filled lifestyles of wealthy, self-righteous Brits living lar
Lead Makeup for M.A.C Tom Pecheux perfectly summed up the geometric looks at the Spring 2011 Joseph Altuzarra show, “It’s not a season of being pretty, it’s a season of being strong.” In terms of makeup that meant deep contouring based on
Backstage at Derek Lam at the tents at Lincoln Center, Orlando Pita for T3 was doing blow-outs that featured a “bump” of volume at the back. “It’s very ’60s inspired but in a more casual, effortless way,” he told me. Pita was using T3′s new Evolution
Follow @AmericanSalon on Twitter
- Oribe’s La Fama in Miami; June 9-10 May 23, 2013
- Halo Salon & Day Spa’s Hair Show to Benefit HartSong Ranch Animal Sanctuary May 23, 2013
- Help Beauty Pros Recover from Tornadoes with PBA Disaster Relief Fund Donations May 21, 2013
- Join the Movement to Educate Clients, Protect Licensing May 16, 2013
- Get the Look: Red Carpet Punk for Met Gala May 14, 2013
- Jazz: Nicole you are Amazing!...
- Geoffrey Williams: Hi I know I'm kind of late, but congradulations t...
- The Shop: These mannequins are much better than the standard...
- Kristina Bianca: This is going to be great!!! Nicole has been inspi...
- Jennifer Cross: After 20 years in the industry, and having attende...