My reality TV obsession reached its peak yesterday and Sunday when I got to meet the five finalists from Shear Genius 2 at IBS New York! I hung out with Dee, Charlie, Daniel, Nicole and Glenn for a bit backstage and got to see that they’re exactly the same in person as they were on the show (yes, Charlie really is that, um, sassy — love him!). I’ll post more pictures tomorrow, but here are some highlights of their Main Stage performance:
- Charlie’s mantra is the 3 P’s: Products, Prep and Planning
- Favorite Tools: Dee loves De Fabulous and JPMS irons; Daniel favors CHI, and not just because he got them for free; Glenn and Charlie go for the Rusk SpeedFreak dryer (“It’s hot, fast and powerful, just like I need a tool to be,” Charlie said)
- Charlie created the Marge Simpson style that was so controversial on the show (judges loved it, viewers didn’t). He doesn’t use a de-frizzing spray to tame the loose hairs: “Think of frizz as softness, not as something ugly.”
- Dee told the audience to always keep their eyes open for new ideas: “You can get inspiration from anywhereâ€”from nature, from animals, etc.”
- Dee is a huge fan of the Freestylist pull-down dryers from Freestyle Systems at her new Miami salon D&L Hair Studio: “The Freestylist has saved my life, my back and my wrist.” [UPDATE: Dee Adames has opened a new salon in South Beach: Dee & Co. Hair Studio]
- Nicole was encouraged to try out by Nick Arrojo while she was an assistant in his salon. At 24, she was the youngest and least experienced contestant on the showâ€”and she still finished 3rd! She credits the amazing training she received at Arrojo Studio.
- Glenn waited for hours in the Texas heat to try out for the show (Daniel was at the same audition, but had a connection that enabled him to skip the line)