Monday afternoon I headed to the Chelsea Art Gallery for the Catherine Malandrino show, where I talked to lead stylist Odile Gilbert for Sebastian Professional and salon owner and show haircolorist for Wella Professionals Eva Scrivo, who teamed up to create “rockabilly chignons.” The look perfectly complemented the collection’s ’40s- and ’50s-inspired feminine yet edgy silhouettes. The preparation started weeks before, when Scrivo and her team individually colored more than 20 natural hair extensions and accentuating pieces using Wella Koleston Perfect haircolor. To find inspiration, Scrivo said she looked at many shades of wood. On the day of the show, Gilbert created the glamorous chignons by pulling hair into a ponytail and wrapping the hair and wefts around a foam form centered on top of the head, working with Sebastian Professional Taming Elixer weightless smoothing crÃ¨me serum, Shaper Fierce ultra-firm finishing hairspray and Shaper Zero Gravity dry, brushable, lightweight control hairspray. Meanwhile, key makeup artist for M.A.C James Kaliardos said he was “feeling orange,” which he said he’s seeing a lot of this season. The look, which Kaliardos told me was somewhat inspired by Edith Piaf, featured orange lip balm topped with orange lipstick, orange blush and “rockabilly eyes,” whatever you may interpret that to mean! â€”Lotus Abrams, managing editor
Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2009 NYC: Catherine Malandrino
Leave a Reply Click here to cancel reply.
Follow @AmericanSalon on Twitter
- Help Beauty Pros Recover from Tornadoes with PBA Disaster Relief Fund Donations May 21, 2013
- Join the Movement to Educate Clients, Protect Licensing May 16, 2013
- Get the Look: Red Carpet Punk for Met Gala May 14, 2013
- Get the Look: Capri from L’Oréal Professionel’s 2013 Highlights and Balayage Collection May 13, 2013
- Millennium Software and Transworld Systems Announce Joint Offering May 13, 2013
- Jazz: Nicole you are Amazing!...
- Geoffrey Williams: Hi I know I'm kind of late, but congradulations t...
- The Shop: These mannequins are much better than the standard...
- Kristina Bianca: This is going to be great!!! Nicole has been inspi...
- Jennifer Cross: After 20 years in the industry, and having attende...
Andis Antoinette Beenders aveda CND dermalogica Essie Eva Scrivo Farouk Systems Fashion Week fashion week fall 2010 goldwell guido Jan Arnold Jason Backe Joico L'OrÃ©al Professionnel M.A.C. MAC Cosmetics matrix Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Moroccanoil napoleon perdis Nick Irwin Odile Gilbert OPI Oribe oribe hair care orlando pita paul mitchell PBA Phyto Professional Beauty Association Pureology Redken Rene Furterer Rodney Cutler sam villa Sebastian Professional T3 ted gibson TIGI Tom Pecheux Wella Wella Professionals Wendy Watkins