On Wednesday I headed back to the tents at Bryant Park for a glimpse backstage at the striking look lead hairstylist for Aveda Odile Gilbert was creating for the 3.1 Phillip Lim show. “It’s sophisticated and girly at the same time,” Gilbert said of the style, a modified chignon placed on the top, right side of the head that resembled a bow, with a ribbon of hair wrapped around the contour of the base of the hairline. To get the look, hair was pulled into a high ponytail on the top, right part of the head, with one section of hair on the opposite side left out. Spraying liberally with Aveda Air Control Hair Spray, the ponytail was divided into two sections, and each section was wrapped around a foam roll to form the “bow.” Finally, the extra piece of hair on the left side was wrapped around the contour of the base of the hairline and the ends were tucked inside the bun. Meanwhile, lead makeup artist Ayako, international makeup director for Nars, was busy creating “gypsy eyes,” by blending pink and beige shadows on the lids and applying blue and black eyeliner all around the lash line. She used a Nars blush called Zen on cheeks and new lipstick stain called Shrinigar on lips, blotting gently with her fingers. Ayako told me the overall look of the complexion was inspired the famous Afghan Girl picture from National Geographic: “earthy and dusty.” Angela Wingle, lead nail tech for CND, added the finishing touch to the look: rounded square nail tips painted with a tiger’s eye shade of polish that was custom blended for the show. â€”Lotus Abrams, managing editor
Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2009 NYC: 3.1 Phillip Lim
Leave a Reply Click here to cancel reply.
Follow @AmericanSalon on Twitter
- Donate to PBA’s Issue Advocacy Fund For A Chance To Win A Samsung Galaxy Note! June 19, 2013
- Ouidad Names Scott Hauser VP of Sales & Education June 18, 2013
- Charlie Le Mindu African Remix Collection June 18, 2013
- Mirabella Beauty Launches into Gene Juarez Salons and Spas June 18, 2013
- NYC Makeover Event Features New José Eber Styling Tools June 17, 2013
- Jazz: Nicole you are Amazing!...
- Geoffrey Williams: Hi I know I'm kind of late, but congradulations t...
- The Shop: These mannequins are much better than the standard...
- Kristina Bianca: This is going to be great!!! Nicole has been inspi...
- Jennifer Cross: After 20 years in the industry, and having attende...
Andis Antoinette Beenders aveda CND dermalogica Essie Eva Scrivo Farouk Systems Fashion Week fashion week fall 2010 goldwell guido Jan Arnold Jason Backe Joico L'OrÃ©al Professionnel M.A.C. MAC Cosmetics matrix Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Moroccanoil napoleon perdis Nick Irwin Odile Gilbert OPI Oribe oribe hair care orlando pita paul mitchell PBA Phyto Professional Beauty Association Pureology Redken Rene Furterer Rodney Cutler sam villa Sebastian Professional T3 ted gibson TIGI Tom Pecheux Wella Wella Professionals Wendy Watkins