If I had a Tim Tam—an Australian cookie—for every time I heard, “I want to look thinner,” I could open my own bakery. It’s a common complaint from clients, but especially as the hot season approaches and all the glossy magazines go into overdrive with features on being “Bikini-Body Ready!” One of the silliest magazine [...]
To make your salon more environmentally friendly, there are small steps that you and your salon staff can take to benefit our environment. For Earth Day, April 22nd, try one or all of these ways to help preserve our earth: When providing guests
When clients would tell me that they couldn’t get their hair to look at home the way I got it to look in the salon, I would say, “It’s easier for me, because I’m standing behind you and have both my hands. You’re working in front of a mirro
Let’s “flip” our canvas to a new shade for the season that has durability, even tone and multiple reflection! Sometimes all we need is a little BALANCE! The winter blond may have become too flat or opaque looking, while your brunettes and reds ma
Since the original 1933 film, women, young girls and probably quite a few hirsute men have marveled at the visual splendor that is Alice in Wonderland. More than seven decades years later the new version of the classic, helmed by the incomparable Tim
Heather Washburn of Heather’s Hair Design in Spokane, WA, recently got the opportunity to work on an American Salon shoot for our April issue after winning Redken’s Runway Reinvention contest, for which she reinterpreted the hairstyle Redken Crea
Clients spend a lot of good, hard earned money on our salon services, and the old phrase “My hair looks good leaving the salon but I can’t replicate it at home” is now unacceptable. Clients expect to have fantastic, wearable hair that is self-m
We’re getting into a very exciting season in hair. In fashion, spring 2010 is three-dimensional—marked by ruffles, gathering, tilted collars, diagonal lines and opposing fabrics colliding in the same garment. To capture that three-dimensional fee
Glamourpuss actress Natalie Wood was the kind of woman who, after dining in an upscale restaurant, would check her lipstick in the reflective blade of a knife. I was thinking about how impossibly chic that was recently and lamenting the fact that lip
The creative inspiration for this photo shoot for the February 2010 issue came from the idea of working with texture in the family of curls and waves. Influences came from different time periods and what fashion designers are showing on the runwa
Follow @AmericanSalon on Twitter
- Oribe’s La Fama in Miami; June 9-10 May 23, 2013
- Halo Salon & Day Spa’s Hair Show to Benefit HartSong Ranch Animal Sanctuary May 23, 2013
- Help Beauty Pros Recover from Tornadoes with PBA Disaster Relief Fund Donations May 21, 2013
- Join the Movement to Educate Clients, Protect Licensing May 16, 2013
- Get the Look: Red Carpet Punk for Met Gala May 14, 2013
- Jazz: Nicole you are Amazing!...
- Geoffrey Williams: Hi I know I'm kind of late, but congradulations t...
- The Shop: These mannequins are much better than the standard...
- Kristina Bianca: This is going to be great!!! Nicole has been inspi...
- Jennifer Cross: After 20 years in the industry, and having attende...